Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Public School

There is a lot of debate about the value of public school among educators.  I have to be honest.  I have never thought it was the best option for our students.  In saying that however, it is what the government has decided is appropriate for the learning of children, so I will support it as such.  That is why I stayed as an educator at a public school even though we decided as a family that Cameron's educational needs were best met elsewhere.  I know that in a public school I can help students grow, learn and reach their potential.

I still struggle though with the makeup of public schools, however.  That hasn't changed for the past 15 years.  It isn't about the public school system in our community, but public school in general.  The true consumer of a school is a student/parent.  Teachers, however, answer to the principal, who answers to the superintendent, who in turn answers to a board, who eventually answers to the state.  I would love for that to change drastically.  I believe that parents are many times left out of public education through no fault of their own or the schools.  It is the government makeup that has created this situation.  I guarantee parents would not ask for more standardized testing.  As much as I love teaching students I realize that no matter how I try I can't change the state involvement in the public school system.  Instead I will try to work with it and hope it benefits my students as the same time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment