Friday, July 24, 2015

"We're Just Talking"

Cal had a girl here today that he is "talking" to.  She was very nice and also quiet.  They spent a couple of hours watching Netflix and hanging out.  I had asked Cal last week if he had a girlfriend as it seemed that he did, but I hate to pry.  He said, "No, he and HM were just talking."  I finally asked him to tell me what that means.  I had heard Jayce say the same thing and I didn't understand the difference.

"Talking" is when you like someone and you are texting them, hanging out in groups, spending some time with them, but not quite ready to call them a girlfriend or boyfriend yet.  I think Meg has tried to explain that to me before as well, but in middle school they all just say they are going out with someone, so it isn't used as much.  Whether dating, talking or going out the boyfriend/girlfriend thing is one of the hardest parts of being a parent.  I am always afraid I am going to say the wrong thing.  I don't want to hover over them, but don't think I should completely leave them alone either.  Since Cal is seventeen I decided today I would be home but just not intrusive.  I used the time to watch a very exciting video on our new electronic grade book.  Believe it or not Cal and his friend did not want to join me in this endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment