Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Trip to the Zoo


Yesterday Meg said that she wanted to do something fun today.  She hadn't really decided on what, so once I got ready I asked Cam what he thought we should do.  His suggestions were good ones - bowling, the Fort Wayne Zoo or Chuck E. Cheese.  We woke Meg up at 11:30 a.m. and told her that she had to choose one.  After some thought the zoo was the pick of the day and we set off at noon.

It was a beautiful day which was much appreciated after all of the rain we have gotten.  The zoo was the least crowded I have ever seen it and we were easily able to get through all of the exhibits and ride our four favorite rides.  For the first time ever I took a turn on the sky ride.  There was a Grandma there with three of her grandchildren and the attendants would only let her take two.  Meg offered for one to ride with them, but Meg had to be sixteen to do so.  Thus, I offered to go with the six year old.  She was a cutie and we had a lot of fun.  I was extremely nervous, however, as I do not like heights and I felt like the little girl could slip out of the ride at any minute.  I did finally insist she hold my hand when she decided to try and touch the top of the trees with her foot.  It reminded me so much of Meg at that age.

We toured Africa and Asia before we rode on the carousel.  Cam was happy to get the Giant Panda as his animal.  We didn't eat lunch before we left so we all decided on snacks.  I had popcorn and they had pretzels.  We were happy to see the lions awake, the baby orangutan swinging from the trees, the prairie dogs eating, and the seals swimming before we rode the train.  The last ride of the day was in Australia and is my favorite - the log ride.  We all wish it had a drop like Splash Mountain, but it is still fun to be ride on.  

To end the trip the three of us had Dippin' Dots (another first for me) and walked through the petting zoo.  None of us were sure why there was a honeybee exhibit, but Cam and Meg did have fun brushing the goats.  I love summer because of days like these - an impromptu trip to the zoo and a whole lot of fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment