Friday, May 31, 2013

The Home Stretch

Today was the first day at school that I felt caught up.  Normally, I have students for all four blocks that I teach.  Today, however, two of my classes were on field trips.  Thus, I had an hour and a half to get things done in my classroom.  I was able to finish grades for this trimester, clean the room, pack my books, organize supplies, and get ready for the end of the year.  When I left I felt I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I asked Brett if he also could see the light at the end of his high school tunnel.  He instantly replied, "NO!"  It is getting close, however.  One more day of classes and then a day of graduation pictures and rehearsal.  I then asked him if there is anything he will miss from his high school days.  That also was a quick response, "Drama!"

After last night I sure can see why!  At the year end drama dinner the seniors were treated to a slide show presentation that included their baby pictures.  Brett received a "not so minor" award for his role as Joe Scales in Cheaper by the Dozen.  It was a role he was meant to play and he just nailed it!  He was most proud, however, of his certificate for being "The Womanizer" from his last musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie.  It was completely out of character for him, but he did enjoy the role!

It probably won't feel as though high school is over for him until well into September.  The light at the end of the tunnel is there.  He just has to keep looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment