Tuesday, January 14, 2014

First Game Jitters

Tonight was the first game for our seventh grade girls basketball team.  I thought overall we did pretty well as we have only had four practices, several of the girls have never played before, and only Meg and Bethany played AAU.  Meg has been designated as our point guard for the starting five.  She had not played that position for almost a year as AAU plays her as a post player.  We started off well and then struggled for a good portion of the first half.  Once we met at halftime, we did a lot better.  We still lost by over twenty, but the girls did what I asked them to do and we know what we have to really focus on in practice tomorrow - defense and boxing out.  All of the girls got into the game, which I thought was pretty good.  One of our players doesn't even know yet that you have to dribble when you move with the ball.  I can't wait to see how much we improve.  Meg has a lot of potential and it will be fun to help her develop her skills.  I know that I have the only team that could be down 20-2 at half and still have a smile on their face with a plan for coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment