Monday, November 18, 2013

CSI

Last summer I was complaining one day about all of the housework there is to do in a day, especially in the laundry room.  Brett listened for awhile and didn't say much.  As I headed back to sort another load, he quietly followed me in.  This is pretty common for him as he knows that he has my full attention on laundry day.  On this particular day, however, he didn't want to talk about politics or movie reviews, instead he had some great words of advice for me.  "Mom, I have to believe that doing laundry is pretty mundane work.  I have a suggestion for you on how to at least make it bearable."  Brett had my full attention at this point.  Could it be that there was a laundry secret that I didn't know about that would make it easier?  Or maybe he was going to volunteer himself or one of his siblings to help.  Either way, I was curious.

Brett continued, "Whenever I have something really boring to do or just don't want to do, I find something on Hulu to watch.  It makes the time pass quicker and my disdain for the task lessens."  He then suggested that I might enjoy the television series "CSI: Miami."  I thought about it for a little while and decided why not give it a try.  It couldn't make laundry less fun.

Since July I have now washed, dried and folded dozens of loads of Heinisch laundry, and I pleased to say that Brett's idea did work.  Now when I head to the laundry room I grab the iPad or laptop and I am good to go - season seven, episode four of CSI: Miami, and I am really enjoying the show (OK, maybe not the blood, but definitely the crime solving detectives.)  Characters have come and gone and crimes have been solved, but the hours of dreading a task have melted away.  With Brett returning this week for Thanksgiving break and his chats during laundry time increase, I know that my CSI watching time will vanish.  That is alright with me.  I am really looking forward to catching up with him.  Horatio Cain will have to wait until December for me to help solve another murder mystery in Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment