Friday, February 27, 2015

One Scary Practice

Tonight was our last practice of the season and it didn't go quite the way I had planned.  We have been holding team competitions all week and we started off with a suicide.  The teams got a point for each player that crossed the line before the clock sounded at 35 seconds.  After the suicides Angela came running to me and said Vicky was in the locker room.  She had used her inhaler, but it hadn't helped.  I ran in there and Vicky was crying and gasping for breath.  I sat with her for a minute and realized that she couldn't calm down and was struggling to breathe.

I had Angela run down to the office and get anyone there who could help.  Cindy and Ryan both came back with her.  Cindy also tried to get her to calm down and breathe slowly, but it didn't help.  Vicky tried drinking some water, but it wouldn't slow her breathing down.  Ryan finally called 911.  By then Coach Pizana moved all of the girls to the small gym.  It felt like forever before the ambulance arrived, but it did finally get there.  They put Vicky on oxygen almost immediately and started an IV.  By the time they wheeled her out of the gym her breathing was a lot better.  Ryan and Cindy came back almost ten minutes later and said that she was on her way to the hospital and was already doing well.

I had a hard time focusing the rest of practice as did most of the girls.  We made it through, however.  Once I took everyone home and got Meg, Cameron and Evan here, I felt a little better.  Ryan had texted from the hospital and said there would be releasing her this evening.  I still cried every time I thought about it.  I am thankful that she will be ok.  I don't ever want to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment