Friday, September 13, 2013

TGIF

I really thought that today would be a very difficult one for me to get through.  I didn't sleep very well last night as I had a headache that just wouldn't go away.  I had to take Cal to basketball at 5:45 a.m., so I knew I would be pretty tired.

I was wrong, however.  My classes were great today.  The students responded well to several of the changes that I made in their routine that helped them complete assignments and start on a new project if ready.

The best news of the morning happened around 10 a.m.  Tammy emailed to say that the Northridge player forfeited his match to Cal.  I was thrilled as was Doug and Cal.  We planned on one of being at his match, but with the other things going on tonight it was going to be tight.  Plus, the win now makes Cal's record 7-3 at #3 Singles.  So proud of all that he has accomplished this fall season.

Before I left school I found out that the bookkeeper had $50 from the PTO for me to spend in my classroom and the school will also be ordering a new stove for my classroom.  I have three that are older, but one has a knob that turns too easily.  If a student bumps it accidentally, then it instantly sets at 500 degrees.  That is not safe, and I am constantly checking it.  Now I won't worry and I will have an oven that cooks evenly.

Tonight was packed with activities as Meg invited 11 friends over for a bonfire/cookout.  There were an even amount of boys and girls, but not your typical "boy/girl" activities.  No one was concerned about who was dating whom, only which team would win at dodge ball and who would be partners during the egg toss.  All in all the 7th graders had a great time, ate hamburgers and were ready for super hero night at the high school football game at 7 p.m.

Doug was home to help with the party after practice.  Everyone liked his hamburgers and he was a big help to the girls in dodge ball.  He left a little early as the soccer team was in charge of concessions at the football game.  A long time friend of mine and mother of twins at the party offered to drive the boys to the game for me.  Meg was sure they could all jam into my van, but I felt more comfortable with a second driver.

Cal wore his Aquaman shirt to the game and left with his Dad.  Once we got all of the middle schoolers in, they took off for their designated area in the end zone.  Kelly and I met up with a couple of other friends to sit in the parent section.  Although, I hate watching football, I did enjoy the company I had that evening.  We all had a lot to catch up on and enjoyed the "Super Hero Parade" at halftime.  Although we decided that a Ghostbuster and the StayPuff Marshmallow Man are really not Super Heros, we couldn't argue with them winning first and second place in the parade.

Thus, a hectic day that I thought would be very challenging to get through, actually turned out to be a lot of fun.  Cal won another match.  Doug had a successful night in the concession stands.  Meg and I had a great time with friends, and Cameron had a wonderful time playing in the Big Cup with his Grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment