Thursday, September 19, 2013

Haircuts

Tennis was cancelled tonight, so Cal was home for the evening. That is a rarity here in the Heinisch home.  About 8 p.m. he asked me to cut his hair.  It was a great idea as Cameron was in need of one too!  So I brought out the clippers, set them at 3/8 inch for the sides and 1/2 inch on the top, and cut away.

As I swept up the hair on the floor, two thoughts came to mind.  First, I couldn't tell which hair was Cal's and which was Cameron's.  Right now it is the same color and texture.  Brett's hair used to be the same.  Much to his dismay, it all changed when he hit twelve years old.  The color was still brown, but he went from thick, straight hair to a head full of curls.  The only one more in shock than him was me.  I didn't know that your hair could change that drastically.  The hairdresser assured me that it was normal.  I guess he must have inherited his Uncle Dan's hair as he was the only one on both sides of the family with curly hair.  It was a challenge at first, but I did learn to cut curly hair.  Brett still doesn't like the "new" curls, but he has adapted and as long as they do not grow into his ears, he is OK with it.

The second thought that crossed my mind was the length of time I have been cutting the boys' hair.  It all started when Doug decided that it was too challenging to get into the barber here.  He was busy with work and being a father.  There just didn't seem to be time to fit one more thing in.  We also realized that with he and Brett needing a haircut monthly we could save almost $300 a year if I would learn to do so.  Thus, I asked my cousin Jackie to give me a how to with Brett and I have been cutting the Heinisch men's hair for almost 15 years.

Tonight I once again donned the role of barber and enjoyed the time I spent with Cal.  He is at an age where hanging out with your Mom isn't that exciting.  It was nice to catch up with him.  Cameron was the reluctant "customer", but he looks so much better!  Maybe his teacher will think she has a new student tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment