Sunday, August 11, 2013

End of an Era

Today was an end of an era in the Heinisch home.  It was Brett's last day as a lector in our church and Cal's an altar server.  Brett will be leaving for college in ten days and won't be scheduled here anymore.  The good news is that he is planning on being involved in the student catholic church at IU.  Cal decided that he has served long enough and would like a break until he turns sixteen and can be a lector as well.  I am proud of both boys for their service to their church.  Ours is a small parish, especially in the winter, so they were always appreciated.

Both started as altar servers when they were fourth graders.  The adults in our church all know their names.  My absolute favorite moment happened one morning during mass when they were serving together.  They got into an argument behind the priest about what to take off of the altar first during communion.  Neither said a word, but their lips and hands were moving. They figured it out after a couple of minutes and I don't think that Father ever noticed.  When I questioned them afterward about what they were arguing about, they both looked puzzled and said, "You could tell?"  I had to laugh.  I guess they must have thought that they were well hidden, but months later, I had someone come up to me and said, "Hey, I know you.  You're the Mom of the two boys that got into an argument while they were serving.  I just love those two!!"

So, for now only Meg and Doug will be helping at mass.  Cameron still has a year to go until he can serve.  For now he will have to be happy handing out programs!  Proud of the Heinisch family for their involvement in our Parish.  I hope their faith only continues to grow and deepen, and their call to serve is a lifelong passion.




No comments:

Post a Comment