Saturday, March 2, 2013

Life of Pi

On Sunday I watched the Oscars with my oldest two boys.  As we all enjoy watching movies, we had fun making predications and cheering on our favorites.  The surpise of the night for us was the amount of awards "Life of Pi" won.  We had seen Les Miserables, Lincoln and several other winners, but not this movie with the intriguing title.  As the nickname of my children's favorite Uncle is also Pi, we thought we just had to check this film out.

From the opening scene my mom, Brett, Cam, Meg and I were mesmorized by the beauty of the movie, the trajedy that this young man indored and the amazing storytelling.  What really struck me as interesting was the ending.  Pi spent 90% of the film telling his life story and how he survived a shipwreck.  He first told an incredible story where animals become heroes, islands appear and disappear, and God is the hero.  When confronted by non-believing insurance agents he tells a second story that is realistic, more tragic and absolutely heart-breaking.  At the end none of us were 100% sure which story was true.  Our three children believed the first story of beauty, triumph and faith, and I believed the second.

I spent a lot of time today thinking about "The Life of Pi."  I realized that three of our children (even my 18 year old, Brett) live in a world of dreams, possibility, and overcoming the impossible.  They believe that a tiger and a boy can survive all odds.  I love that about them - always dreaming, ever positive, full of encouragement, self confidence and a commitment to faith.  I want my 14 year old, Cal, to see it.   I think he will believe the second ending.  Although he and I are strong believers in God we have seen more trajedy in life and have had to overcome more adversity.  Sometimes your experience in life changes how you view the world around you.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this yet, but am reading the book. I agree that our experiences do shape what we believe. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminds me of a Vladamir Nobokov quote, "Our imagination flies- we are its shadow upon the Earth." Children especially hold the potential to allow their imaginations to soar and take flight along with it. As adults, the reality of the world and heartache harnesses us closer to the ground- but with that deeper in the shadows... Sometimes we need our children- the dreamers- to help take us back into flight- above the clouds to see the beauty again. Even with our skepticism. Thanks for sharing. I love this. Btw- I saw about 3/4 of the movie and loved it. I have to catch the ending now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read the book even though everyone else in my family has. I want to read the book before I see the movie. Thanks for this glimpse into the movie. Welcome to our slicing community !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the Oscars. The night is always interesting. I keep a notepad nearby to record movie titles that I want to see and quotes from the thank-you speeches. Loved the quote from Anne Hathaway as she gave her thanks. Loved the Life of Pi. The book is a great read. Loved the discussion your family had about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sometimes your experience in life changes how you view the world around you." How true. In my case it also changed the entertainment I'm willing to watch. After my sister died of breast cancer any film with a cancer victim is unbearable for me.
    I enjoyed you piece.

    ReplyDelete