Sunday, March 24, 2013

Goodbye to High School Musicals

A chapter of Brett's high school career closed last night with his last performance on the high school stage.  Drama has been a huge part of Brett's life and it has been a lot of fun to see him grow as a performer.  Brett started his life in drama with a bit part in a middle school performance.  It was long hours and a lot of work for as little as he was on the stage.  I remember him telling me after the play was over that he "would never be in a play again!"

That quickly changed his freshmen year when he found out that the fall production was to be Alice in Wonderland.  Brett is a big fan of the book and asked me if he got a part in the play would I read the book. He was excited to land the role of the executioner and we were pleased to see him on stage.  He played the role well and true to my word I did read the book.  Luckily, he enjoyed acting a lot more than I did Lewis Carroll.

There have been eight productions since Brett started high school.  The fall lends itself to smaller, dramatic plays with the spring reserved for large scaled musicals with big casts.  Brett has been involved in all of eight of these and was invited to join the Thespian Society.  Meg and Cameron loved him as a cheese grater in Beauty and the Beast.  I am not sure he enjoyed it as much until he realized that he received a lot of recognition for wearing the cumbersome costume.  This year was a break out for him.  He played the only comedic role in the 1920's Cheaper By the Dozen.  He absolutely nailed the part and it was fun to see him take on a role that he wasn't sure he could play.  The final production for him was Thoroughly Modern Millie.  For the first time ever he had to dance with a partner on stage and in the front row.  I know that was a stretch for him as it was way outside of his comfort zone.

With all of this, however,  I was most proud of him in one of the smaller productions in which he
didn't earn a part.  He was asked for a call back to play a doctor in Harvey and was one of the last
students to be cut.  When he learned that he didn't earn the role I asked him how he felt about it, he said "I was disappointed, but decided I will join the lighting crew."  I love that about him - ever positive, always seeing the sunny-side of things (except Calculus.)  So last night we said goodbye to high school musicals.  I will miss that next year, but I know in college that he will find a group that he enjoys as much as the friends he made through drama.  Isn't that what life is all about?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on another milestone. I was sad to be out of town and not get to see the musical this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great attitude! Some people would turn disappointment into bitterness...but he chose to be part of the play in a different role. He will do well in life...as you said...always seeing the sunny side....well, except for Calculas....I understand that one! Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete