Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy 50th Anniversary!!

Today is my parents 50th wedding anniversary!!  No big party - I was told they did not want one.  There will be no picture in the local paper of them 50 years younger with a big "Happy 50th!" written above it.  (I was told that there would be a follow-up picture of me in my awkward middle school years the next week if one appeared.)  Instead over the past two weeks my parents have been celebrating their Golden Anniversary with a walk down memory lane   They have visited family and friends whom they haven't seen in years.  Dined at restaurants they haven't eaten at  in decades.  Taken pictures, reminisced and most of all spent a lot of quality time together.

I have been with them for 44 years of this adventure.  Yet, it doesn't feel like it sounds - 50 years!!  Fifty years of memories, pictures, tragedy, triumphs, jobs, homes, rounds of golf - Wow!!  I know they would say the best part of their past 50 years would be their four grandchildren.  However, I am glad they took a break from being grandparents and took their stroll down memory lane.  I have enjoyed listening to them talk of their journey - together as it should be.

I am proud of my parents for making it this long - especially since 2/3 of all marriages that lose a child end in divorce.  My own husband, Doug, and I have been married for 20 years in May.  I think of all that we have accomplished and shared together.  I have set a goal that Doug and I will also spend several weeks right before our own 50th wedding anniversary (in 2043) touring the memories of our life together.  Happy 50th Mom and Dad!!  The Heinisch family thanks you for all you do for us -  without your union the title of this blog would be:  There's Nothing Going on in the Heinisch Home!

2 comments:

  1. I love the threat of the middle school photo. What a great idea to revisit and remember. Only 20 more years for us...Or maybe we'll do a few this fall when we reach 30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll try this again. I lost my comment! I heard you humor voice which I enjoyed...."without your union the title of this blog would be:..." and the threat of publishing your middle school picture. : ) What a great way to celebrate 50 years by traveling down memory lane. Happy Anniversary to your parents!

    ReplyDelete