Saturday, October 5, 2013

Soccer Saturday

Doug had a JV girls soccer tournament this morning, so I had to coach Cam's U-9 soccer team.  I have filled in for Doug several other times, but this was the first this season.  I was a little nervous.  We were facing a team that Cam really wanted to beat or at least do well against.  One of the players on the opposing squad has cousins that are outstanding players on the high school team.  Thus the name Camargo is soccer royalty around here.

The other reason that I was apprehensive had to do with a teammate of Cam's.  He has been a behavior challenge from the very first practice.  He doesn't listen or follow directions, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to handle him.  

All in all I thought it went pretty well.  Cade's Mom sat near me for moral support.  I loved her comment, "Just yell some names out with directions.  No one knows what your talking about, and it makes you look good!"  I used my teacher voice a couple of times , so there wasn't any behavior problems.  Cameron had an awesome game in goal with double digit saves.  Cade stuck to Rueben like glue and at the end of the first half we were actually up 1-0.  In the end, however, I was handed my first defeat as fill in coach.

Cam and I were not disappointed.  We knew that everyone had played well.  The coach from the opposing team came over to tell me that I did a nice job.  The ref on the field beside us, who is a family friend a little older than Brett, stopped by to see how it went.  I said that it was a 2-1 loss, but they had a Camargo.  He congratulated me for holding them to only 2 goals.

Meg and I continued on our soccer Saturday tour by catching Doug's second tournament game.  I thanked her for being my assistant at Cam's game.  OK, she didn't even make it to kick off before she was watching her friends in a U-14 game.  That was alright as she enjoyed that game a lot more.  Luckily, Jay called and said he'd move Cam's tournament game on Thursday to Saturday, so Doug could be there.  Girls sectional is that day and he didn't want Doug to miss another of Cam's games.  We all really appreciated his gesture!  Cam didn't mind having me as coach, but is sure happy that his Dad will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment