Wednesday, December 6, 2017

A Family Sick Day

Last night Cam and Meg were both feeling under the weather.  Thus, we told them that they could sleep in and see how they were doing when they woke up.  Cam was the first one up.  He texted me at 9 a.m. and said that he just wasn't up for school today.  Therefore, I told him to take DayQuil, rest and see how he was feeling later.  I knew he was bummed, as he really wanted to go.  Meg was up next and said that she was much better than last night.  I was glad to hear that.  She took her time getting ready and had breakfast before she left.

Cam headed upstairs when she left.  He read for awhile and rested in bed.  Around 11:20 he came back down to say that he was thinking about trying school.  I told him that it was up to him.  He wasn't running a fever, but the drainage from his sinuses was making his throat quite sore.  He decided that he would go to school for the afternoon and try practice.  He promised to use his inhaler and sit out if he felt bad.  I dropped him off at Bethany at 12:15 just in time for band.  He took a second dose of DayQuil with him to take at 2.

While they were at school I spent the afternoon Christmas shopping.  I was able to find several items that I needed, but still have a couple to purchase.  Overall, however, I have checked off almost all of my list.  I arrived home close to 3:30.  Doug called and said that he would pick up Cam from practice.  I was glad to hear that as Meg had late practice and I would no longer have to run back to Goshen.

Cam came home and said immediately that he felt terrible.  His throat was so sore that he could barely swallow and his asthma was really bothering him.  We started talking through what to do about tomorrow when it dawned on me to take him to MedStat.  I knew that it would be hard to get into our family doctor tomorrow.  I had a meeting in the morning that I really needed to attend, so I couldn't be home until after 11:30 a.m.  Thus, urgent care seemed like the best option.  I was so glad that I took him.  There were several patients ahead of us, so our wait was about 45 minutes or so which wasn't too bad.  They were extremely attentive when we got back into the room.  They thoroughly checked him out and also did a strep test.  Since his lungs sounded clear and his strep test was normal they decided to treat his nose.  We left with directions to drink clear liquids, avoid all dairy and to take Mucinex DM.  Cam and I took off for CVS as soon as we left MedStat.  He was hungry when he got home, so Doug made him some spaghetti and a peanut butter sandwich.  He took his Mucinex and we were amazed that within an hour he was already feeling much better.  His plan when he went to bed was to go to school in the morning.  I was so happy to hear that.

No comments:

Post a Comment