Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Day of Craziness

I spent all of yesterday getting ready for the winter storm that never came to fruition.  As we now have elearning days at Milford we have to have lessons online for students on all snow days.  Thus, I had to have four 30 minute lessons prepared and ready last night just in case the 3 to 5 inches of blowing and drifting snow developed.  I also had to make sure that Meg and Cam had everything at home in case they had their own virtual learning day.  Once Doug got home we then had to talk through what we would do if there were delays and/or cancellations as we weren't ready for Meg to drive on snow covered roads just yet.  During our discussion we even had to tell Meg and Cam to shut off their alarms so they could sleep in if given the chance.  

The one scenario that we had not prepared for was of course the one that occurred.  In fact in the three years that Cam had been at Bethany there had not been one time that Bethany had a delay and Wawasee did not, but that was exactly what happened this morning.  Doug and I were up before 6 and got the message at the same time.  It took a couple of minutes to talk through an alternate plan, but we decided the best option was for Doug to stay home in the morning and take Cam and Meg to school.  I would go to school and if there was an early release I would have to leave to pick them up.  

As I drove to school I couldn't believe how little snow we had gotten overnight.  The roads were completely clear and I had no problem getting to work.  That was not the case in Goshen as Bethany ended up cancelling school along with several other schools in Elkhart County.  Once Doug heard that he headed to work.  Since he could work from home, it was a lot easier for him to stay with Meg and Cam.  As Meg said later, "It's pretty hard to teach thirty children while sitting in your house."  I did think that I would have to take the afternoon off since they were home, but they actually did very well on their own.  My Mom brought up lunch for them and they spent the majority of the afternoon working on their assignments from Bethany.  By the time I got home at 3:30 they were ready to run to Dollar General for some "after school snacks."  

We spent the rest of the night at home.  Doug made it back after six and said that he had no problems on the roads.  He had work to do on his computer, so after dinner Cam and I decided to play Balance Boat on the Wii.  Meg also had homework to catch up on, so she decided not to join us.  She and Cam had played Mario Party earlier in the day.  It had been quite awhile since Cam and I played my favorite game.  It was a lot of fun and a great way to end a snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment