Monday, June 20, 2016

Storms

WSBT called for severe storms today starting at 4 p.m.  Meg and I decided to chance it by walking up to her tennis lesson at 2:30 p.m.  It was hot, but it looked like all of the dark clouds were going to go north of us.  After we got to tennis, I walked on down to CVS.  Our plan was for me to meet Meg at the courts at 3:30 and walk home.  Once I got to the high school, however, I realized that the clouds had changed and the winds had picked up.  Therefore, I decided to walk on home to get the van.  I am very glad that I did so.  

I picked Meg up just as the lightening started.  We got home just as the storm hit.  I was able to save the giant frisbee that had finally fallen from the tree, but I couldn't get to the flag pole in time to save it.  Normally when we have a severe thunderstorm warning I fill the bathtub with water, but by the time I got to it, the power was already out.  

The storm did not last long, but there was a lot of damage.  A huge tree at The Frog came down and several barns in Milford were flattened.  The neighbors lost a big tree that took out at least four from our lot.  Luckily, they did not cause any damage, but will require a lot of clean up.  

My parents lost power too.  I can't remember the last time that we lost power and so did they.  Cam was planning on spending the night so that he could go to his golf tournament in the morning.  The only place open in town to eat at was Penguin Point and it was packed.  Thus, they took him to the Chinese buffet in Goshen.  He got to try dumplings for the first time and loved them.  

Doug still had soccer as the storms were well gone by 6 p.m.  I spent the time walking and checking out the storm damage.  By the time soccer was over the lights south of Penguin Point were back on, so I was able to get Meg a pizza from Pizza King.  Cal hung out at HM's as she never lost power.  Doug and I went to dinner at Huntington Street.  The crowds had died down by the time we got there and thankfully we had power by the time we got home at 9:30.  

No comments:

Post a Comment