Monday, June 6, 2016

Athletic Awards Night

Tonight was the Spring Athletic Awards program at the high school.  Normally, I find the large group portion of this event to be extremely boring, but not so much tonight.  First, Cal and the golf team got to go up on stage to present the Northrop Invitational trophy to Mr. Beasley.  Of course, they did it with their own style and flair.  Then Meg was honored for earning her letterman's jacket and Cal for being name to the Honorable Mention All NLC golf team.  Even the video portion was fun this year.  The teams picked their own background music and the golf one was the best - Poor Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard.  We laughed the rest of the evening about that.

These made up for the fact that Cal missed earning his blanket by one JV point.  I knew when he quit basketball his junior year that this would be the case.  He and I talked about it when he was deciding, but at the time the blanket was far from his mind.  Getting away from a horrible situation was first and foremost and we completely agree with his decision.

The rest of the night was split into small group team awards.  I went with Meg, and Doug went with Cal.  Cal was awarded the Coaches' Award.  Doug said that Steve called him the team leader and praised him over and over.  The biggest surprise of the evening, however, was during the tennis awards portion.  Shane awarded a MVP this year and the award went to Meg.  She and I were shocked as he didn't seem to pay a lot of attention to her during the season, so we were thrilled that he  did notice how much she worked and recognized her for it.

Once the awards were over Jeffrey, Beckie, Cal and I all took a picture by our 1985 sectional win picture.  It was a great idea and I am glad that she thought of it.  As we ate dinner later and talked about the evening, it dawned on me that by Meg winning the MVP in tennis I was the proud Mother of the only tennis MVP's this year at Wawasee High School.  In addition they were both scholar athletes.  I wonder if any other siblings have done that in the history of Wawasee athletics.  No matter what I couldn't be more proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment