Friday, June 17, 2016

22,000 Steps


We started the day early once again.  Cal picked the 8:30 a.m. time to register for classes.  It was a smart move on his part as there were less students there and he had a better chance of getting what he wanted.  Of all of the things he has been excited about during orientation choosing his own classes has been the biggest one.  He was very happy when he was done.  His earliest class starts at 9 a.m. and he has no Friday classes.  In addition to what he needed for the business school he was also able to get into History of Rock N Roll and basketball.

While Cal was registering for classes we went to the parent meeting for direct admit students of the Kelley Business School.  I found this to be the best session of orientation.  We received a lot of information and as I did not graduate from the business school at IU it was all new to me.  Cal has been very fortunate to be admitted directly and as long as he keeps his grades at 3.0 or higher he should do well.  

Once we were done we met Cal at the Wells Library.  He had to get his photo ID and then he was done.  We drove out to Foster Quad.  The tours did not start until noon, but at least he could see where it was.  From there he and Doug left for Wabash.  Cal had decided to go home and Meg and Cam wanted to come down for the weekend.  Mom said she'd meet them in Wabash to save Doug some time.  They were all there a little after 1 p.m.  Cal drove Mom's van home.  She said he talked all weekend about IU.  I was glad to hear that.  He definitely is most excited about his classes, the rec sports leagues and IU basketball.  

While Doug was driving I walked to the library.   There were a lot of booths set up for orientation and I wanted to check them out.  I signed Cal up for a parking permit and took home information about renting books.  From there I walked back to Foster to take a tour of the dorm.  I was pleased that each room had air conditioning.  It also had a lot of floor space and two big closets.  Foster is closest to the cafeteria on that side of campus and also next to the business school.  It should be a great location.

Parce and I met up at T.I.S.  By the time I got there I had already walked my 12,000 steps.  He wanted to take a picture by the new gates at the southwest end of campus.  After that we walked down Union Street and through the IMU.  We stopped at Pot Belly Sandwiches on the way to his apartment for lunch.  I really liked it.  We also stopped at the new CVS on Kirkwood.  It is the largest one I have ever been in.

Meg, Doug and Cam were at the apartment by 4 p.m.  I was impressed with how well they did through traffic in Martinsville.  We went to the mall, Barnes & Noble and Target before deciding on a place for dinner.  They really wanted Mother Bear's and Parce agreed to go with us.  Surprisingly, it was not busy.  We got right in and enjoyed the pizza.  We saved room for ice cream and breadsticks and were back at the apartment by 10 p.m.  I was absolutely whipped by the time we went to bed.  Today I put in 22,000 steps on my FitBit.  That was a new record for me and I was pretty proud.  


No comments:

Post a Comment