Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day

Today was the first time in years that we did not have anyone marching in a Memorial Day parade.  Meg wanted to go see the Milford band anyway, so she tagged along with Kaitlin's family and came home with a bag full of candy.  Normally I would have taken her as I think that it is very important to honor our fallen veteran's, but this year I just felt too overwhelmed with all of the household chores to get done before next Sunday to take the time off.

Thus, Doug and I stayed home and accomplished a lot.  While I was working outside I had a lot of time to reflect.  I know that so many people post special quotes or poems on Memorial Day.  I always wonder how many of them truly understand the sacrifice that families of soldiers that never come home make.  Meg and I are ever reminded when we hang out with the Fiscus ladies.  They have weathered the storm well and have lived a full life since Todd died a decade ago, but I wish that they hadn't had to do so.  I wish that Gabby and Alex knew what it was like to grow up with a Dad in the house.  Instead they learned how to be survivors at a young age.  Ever impressed with the role model that Paula is to them and all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment