Friday, January 17, 2014

Never a Dull Moment

Today I remembered back to my second year of parenthood.  Brett was such an easy toddler, always happy and pretty low maintenance.  I was teaching part time and I was fascinated by parents who talked about how different their children were.  Being a mom of only one,  I couldn't imagine that at all.

Life continued, however, and three additional Heinisch children made me realize that I sure had a lot to learn back then.  Brett, Cal, Meg and Cam have a lot of similarities, but I am ever amazed at how much they differ.  Each one has a unique personality and together they make our family whole.  They are all influenced by one another, but have their own interests.  Each is also influenced by society and the life outside of the Heinisch home, but react to it very differently.

Today as I grew frustrated with Cal as he received another C on a pre calculus quiz and was written up in Spanish for "behavior that could be construed as being disrespectful to the teacher," I realized that Brett would never have had either of these two problems.  He did, however, have other issues that he had to deal with in high school.  Meg and Cam will as well.  They all are children that God gave us to help find their way in life.  There will be setbacks and none are perfect.  We will weather the storm with Cal this trimester and help him through whatever life throws at him just as we have with Brett and will with Meg and Cam.  Thus, there never really is a dull moment in the Heinisch home.  Wow - life would sure be boring if there was.

No comments:

Post a Comment