Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Happy 9th Birthday, Cameron!

After I had Meg, the OB sat on the end of my bed and said due to the complications I had in giving birth to her that I would never be able to become pregnant again.  On the slim chance that I did, the doctor concluded that I would not be able to carry a pregnancy past twenty weeks.  After just surviving a very dramatic birth that could have resulted in the death of either Meg or I, I did not worry too much about having another child.  

Life in the Heinisch family continued and we enjoyed the three children that we had.  Doug and I both wanted a lot of children, but if all we could have was three than we were content with that.  Three years after Meg was born, however, I started to believe that I might be pregnant.  Even though I knew that was impossible, something inside of me told me that I was right.  A pregnancy test and a trip to the OB confirmed it.  Both Doug and I were flabbergasted.  We spent the next nine weeks visiting several high risk doctors and having blood tests and ultrasounds.  I tried not to get my hopes up, but at nine weeks there was a strong heartbeat and all signs were go.  We had not told anyone yet, but I know my Mom suspected something was up.  We wanted to tell Meg, Cal and Brett first.  I remember asking them if they were interested in getting a puppy or having another sibling.  All immediately said, "Another baby."  I was thrilled to tell them that they were going to get one.

It was a rough pregnancy with many trips to the doctors' offices and to the hospital several times.  In the last month Doug changed his work hours from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help out at home.  My Mom came up in the mornings, got the boys to school and took Meg until Doug got home.  All I could do was take care of myself.  My body had decided to stop being pregnant several weeks before it was safe for Cameron to be born.  With the rest and added medical attention I was able to make it to 34 and 1/2 weeks.  The amniocentesis came back clear, so the doctor decided to deliver Cameron before my body shut down.  Early in the morning of January 20th, Cameron Douglas Heinisch was born and our family was complete.  Cameron and I had some complications the first few weeks with my blood pressure and his body temperature, but we made it.

Cameron's love of life may be attributed to the fact that he wasn't supposed to make it.  Or it could be because he is well loved by all of his family members.  Either way he is so much fun to parent and I thank God everyday that my doctor was wrong.  Our little miracle has turned into an enthusiastic, intelligent, caring nine year old.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  Happy Birthday, Cameron!

No comments:

Post a Comment