Thursday, January 9, 2014

Back to School

We eased back into school this week with a two hour delay today.  I was afraid that we were going to have to cancel again, but everyone made it in safely.  Fortunately, we only have to make up one of the days of the three that we missed this week.  The entire state closed Monday and Tuesday.  Thus, they are providing a waiver for schools that apply, so that we can change legally to a 178 day school year this year.  We will make up yesterday's miss in February.

I am not a big fan of the snow day make up rule.  In general days that are added to the end are not overly productive.  Last year our middle schoolers went to Paige's Crossing one day and had awards/field day the next.  I do not think that the board of education was thinking of parents or families when that rule was passed.  I also do not believe that students learn a great deal more in a 180 day school year than 178.  Education has always been about quality, not quantity.

Thus, today I was glad that we returned.  For the first time in a long time, I did not dread the day back after break.  My classes were all asked to attend meetings for the upcoming ski trip - a relatively easy day for all after a two and a half week vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment