Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day - the White Table






Today Meg was able to participate in the white table ceremony at her middle school program for Veteran's Day.  I was very proud of her when she put the black napkin on the white table symbolizing the sorrow of captivity.  Meg was happy to be chosen.  She understands the importance of Veteran's Day.  One of her best friends is the daughter of a fallen soldier.  He gave his life for our country in Afghanistan when the girls were little.  Although Meg never met Todd, she talks of him often with Gabby and has shared her thoughts with me many times.  Meg understands the struggles of raising a family once a parent is lost and stands in awe of Paula (as do I) knowing that she has to now fulfill the role of both mother and father in the Fiscus family.

My favorite veteran passed away six years ago and I still miss hearing his World War II stories.  My favorite one was the time they called all of the privates out into a line, told them to bring their glasses, put a shot of Vodka in it and said, "Happy New Year."  Paw Paw said that it was the best shot he had ever had.  Today as one of my autistic students complained about missing art to be at the program, I reminded him that many years ago, some soldiers missed their entire families for years to serve their country.

I am proud of those who have served, saddened on this day at the loss of so many, and hopeful that one day we will raise a generation that does not know war.  For now I will be content knowing that tomorrow when I ask my seventh graders to explain our quote of the week, "Freedom is not Free" all of their hands will go up as today they witnessed it firsthand by the ceremony of the white table.  

No comments:

Post a Comment