Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Morning Basketball Once Again

"Mom, can you take me in early tomorrow?  I want to shoot before school."  I wanted to jump for joy when Cal asked me this question, but I calmly said, "Sure, what time?"  Today is the five week anniversary of his injury and Cal has put a lot of time and energy into the healing process.  Although, he still has work to do, it had to feel great to him to be able to go in and shoot once again.  Before September 24th, he had only missed two days of early morning basketball since the beginning of 2013.  He not only loves to play, but has made a lot of great friendships during this time.  I am sure that it has been hard sitting on the sidelines watching, but to Cal's credit he never complained once.

I did talk with the trainer at school last night.  He definitely has a plan of recovery for Cal and has been working with him at least four days a week for the past three weeks.  He is the one who gave Cal the go ahead to resume ball handling drills and free throws.  I do not know where Cal's high school basketball career will take him, but it is a great feeling knowing that he can participate.  I will never again complain (even jokingly) about waking up early to take him to school.  Lack of sleep is nothing compared to an injured child.

No comments:

Post a Comment