Thursday, October 17, 2013

Interruptions

I believe that nothing hurts a student's ability to learn more than interruptions.  Every time the learning process is interrupted a little bit of the lesson is lost.  Today I decided to try and end the interruptions.  I cannot control announcements or adults in and out of the room, but I can stop the student interruptions.  Thus, on my smart board this rule was posted:

#1 "There will be no interruptions today.  If you need help, then please sign up on the whiteboard.  Any student who interrupts will be written up."

A write up in our school is equal to a lunch detention.  I do not give many a trimester, maybe one or two.  Thus, the students knew I was serious.  I explained to them that they are sabotaging the entire class' education every time they interrupt a lesson, directions or concentration. I will not let that happen in my class.

The students did very well with the new rule (plus the 4 others that I typed up.)  When I was helping a student and one of the notorious #1 rule breakers walked up, I would say quietly, "reread rule one on the smart board and rethink your decision."  I only had to say that once and the interruptions stopped.  I was thrilled.  We accomplished a lot, finished many projects and actually had the room cleaned up by the time the bell rang all four class periods.  Fingers crossed that it continues tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment