Saturday, October 26, 2013

Count My Blessings

Doug, my Mom and Jody have had to hear me cry about Cal's ankle several times during the month he was out of commission.  I felt incredibly guilty and was sure that I had somehow brought this upon him.  I was mad at myself for driving him to practice at 5:45 a.m. that morning, and mad that I didn't tell him he couldn't play basketball during tennis NLC's and/or sectional.  I was even upset with myself for jokingly complaining that I had to get up early to take him to pre-dawn workouts.  I am sure Doug, Mom and Jody were frustrated with me, but they just patiently listened.  I think I took Cal's injury more to heart than he did.

Today, however, I realized how ignorant I was.  A mom of one of Cal's golf teammates (who also plays football) posted her son's picture on Facebook, sitting on a gurney, waiting for surgery after last night's game.  There was one of him semi-smiling wearing the lovely hospital gown and hat, one of his legs still in football pants and another of the x-ray of his arm.  His surgery would repair his broken radius and dislocated ulnar with a plate and screws.  His mother wrote that he would be in the hospital until Sunday and his spirits were high, but it would be a long road to recovery.

As I watched Cal return to almost a normal walk this weekend, the first time since his injury, I couldn't believe how worried I had been.  His prognosis from the start had come to full fruition - four weeks in a boot, ankle brace for support and physical therapy.  All should lead to a complete recovery for basketball season - just a blip in his high school athletic career.  Tonight as I listen to Cal and Alex plan the college games that they want to go to this winter around their practice schedule (I think they are joking about trying to make the North Dakota State vs. Oregon game, but you never know), I thank God for watching over the Heinisch children and pray that Cal's friend recovers as quickly and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment