Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Summer Vacation

Today was my last school day of the year.  This is the first full school year I have taught since the 1996-1997  one.  I was happy to have made it through and proud of what we accomplished this year.  Last year at this time having a teaching position wasn't even on the radar for me.  In May of 2012 I talked with our principal about taking a maternity leave for one of the math teachers for part of the year.  She jokingly said, ok, we'll talk about that when it posts in August, but what do you think about teaching FACS (Family and Consumer Science)?  I laughed and told her that the only C I had ever received in junior high, high school and college was in my 6th grade Home Ec. class.

A couple of weeks later, I saw our principal at a reading meeting and she brought it up again.  I had had some time to think about it and told her that I'd be interested if it was more like a life skills class.  She said to look at the standards and she'd talk to the director of curriculum.  She then sent me the posting for the half day FACS position that no one had applied for.  During this time period the high school called and asked if I'd be interested in interviewing for a full time algebra position.  After talking it over with Doug, I decided to seriously consider the FACS job.  It was at Cameron and Meg's school and only half days.  I had taught Algebra before for a teacher on sick leave.  I knew that would be a huge commitment.  Thus, my adventure in FACS began.

I spent the summer learning the standards.  Much to my surprise they had changed over the years and FACS was not the Home Ec. class that I had taken.  There were units on finance, careers, nutrition, relationships, and human development to be explored.  Over the first trimester I was able to develop a curriculum that wasn't just sewing and cooking.  Some lesson plans were just wonderful and a big hit with the students.  Others flopped.

Over the course of the year I have taught students to sew on a sewing machine, cook on a gas stove and so much more.  We made recycling PSAs, sewed buttons, discussed child safety hazards and made kitchen safety videos.  I grew to really enjoy the position and even earned my FACS teaching license.  At the end of the year, another teacher asked me if I would rather switch back to math.  I honestly wouldn't.  This has been an awesome adventure.  I can't wait to see where it takes me next school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment