Monday, March 4, 2013

The oldest

Our oldest, Brett, called me this morning in a panic.  His truck wouldn't start and he didn't want to be late to school.  I work at a middle school ten minutes away, but was able to get home, drop him at school and make it back before class began.  As I drove I thought about my three other children and their comments of late.  Each one of them has expressed a sadness about Brett leaving for college next fall.  They know that their lives will never be the same after that.  He is the one they all get along with, rely on daily, and look up to.  He is an ideal older brother and they realize that. 

Even though there is ten years from our oldest to youngest, the Heinisch children spend a lot of time together.  I know that their feelings are valid and that our daily life will change greatly, but I cannot let myself feel sad about Brett's leaving us for college.  I hear his side of the story - "I am really looking forward to starting my life."  "I know I will meet a lot of great people."  "I can't wait to take classes that interest me, not just ones that are required."  Small town life is great for raising children, but it can feel stifling for a young adult ready to embark on his life's journey.  I am happy for him and I hope he enjoys his adult life as much as his Dad and I have.  I can't wait to see the man that he becomes. 

7 comments:

  1. You are pulling at my heart strings. Your narrative introduction paved the way to connecting with your reflection. My oldest entered college this past fall and we are still adjusting in ways. My daughter, just yesterday, asked to where his HS letter-man's jacket to feel closer to him. Keep capturing the little memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...such a bittersweet reflection. This could be your theme for the whole month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in our place just a couple of years ago. It is so hard to think of letting them go, but it is so important that you recognize...and validate...his need to go. The other kids will adjust to his absence and grow a bit because of it. I like your comments about small town. Good luck. I'm just down the hall next fall when you need some support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our youngest just got accepted into grad school, the oldest is in the ministry in Texas. While I loved the growing up stage, the next one can be fun, just in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure your family will share as you watch Brett's life unfold. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds confident and ready to set out on his own. He will be a good example for the younger siblings and make you proud. I like your positive attitude about his leaving the nest. That's the way it is suppose to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. College is hard on everyone. My baby went away this past fall, my son graduated college last spring. It is hard to send them off, but exciting to watch them become amazing adults. And thank heaven for small towns.

    ReplyDelete