Sunday, March 3, 2013

The List

My 8 year old, Cameron, has become slightly obsessed with James Bond lately.  He watched the first 007 movie with his Dad and has been hooked ever since.  He is learning to play The James Bond Theme Song on the piano, listens to the soundtrack on my iPhone, watches and re-watches the movies, and talked his piano teacher into ordering a piano book for him with 19 of the title songs from the Bond films.  Last night I gave  him his brother's fedora and ever since he has been walking around the house pretending to be Odd Job throwing his hat at all of the "good guys" in our family.

I am used to obsessions with all of my children.  There has been Thomas the Tank Engine, Star Wars, the Chicago Bears, Dora, Elvis Presley, William Howard Taft, etc.  What fascinates me with my three boys, however, is their need to make a list with each and every obsession.  "Top 20 Running Backs in the NFL", "50 Strongest Pokemon", "Presidents in Order of My Favorites" are just a few that come to mind.  I believe my husband, Doug, began the craze when he compiled his "Top 100 Films" during a slow night in MBA accounting class.

Meg and I have never created lists of our top anything.  I wonder if it is a male bonding activity that we just don't understand (kind of like their love of James Bond - our least favorite films.)  Maybe it is a Heinisch family tradition that neither of us have been inclined to try.  Either way, Cameron can now join the group of Heinisch men in our home with his own list - "Top Ten James Bond Villains of All Time."

6 comments:

  1. Oh those funny boys. My son (who is 19) went through a big Buzz Lightyear obsessive stage when he was a little kid. However, I have never heard of the listing thing before. That does make sense though. I think it's funny and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William Howard Taft ? I'd love to hear the back story on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my 18 year old was 10 he became extremely interested in history and especially facts about the Presidents. The story about Taft becoming stuck in his own bathtub caught his eye. He spent hours researching Taft's political life and became a huge fan. By the time.he made it to high school we had visited Taft's home three times and his grave in Arlington. Although his interest in Taft has died down, he is a die hard Republican, plans to major in Political Science and is already predicting the top choices for Republican nominees in 2016

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there's never a dull moment in your house! Kids... you just got to love their imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Heinisch family! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story makes me want to come over and hang out with you and your family. (Maybe, because it reminds me so much of my own).....Anyway, since that is no possible I will just have visit via your blog:-)

    ReplyDelete