Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Break

Today is the last day before Spring Break begins and I have noticed over the years that it is a day of mixed feelings for the students.  Those who are spending the week traveling to vacation destinations with their family are excited and can't wait for the day to end.  Some that are staying home for break share the wonderful feeling of sleeping in, visiting relatives, playing video games, having sleep overs with friends, etc.

The ones that always catch my attention are those that express feelings of sadness about the week long break from school.  For many of them, school is the only stable part of their life.  So, today when a student asked if he could share what he is doing over Spring Break, I hesitated.  I know it is hard for those who have never had a vacation to hear about the plans of those who are traveling to Florida, Vegas, the Dominican Republic, Washington D. C. and more.  I decided to tell them that we could share our Spring Break plans if all shared.  Some looked at me funny and others panicked.  They did not want to say, "I'm not doing anything." Or, "I'm babysitting for my siblings while my parents work."  Or, "I hope I get to see my Dad."

I then went on to explain to them, that if they weren't going anywhere to try and think of one thing they are going to do that they love, or one thing about school that they will not miss.  After brainstorming a little bit, I called on the first hand up.  "Mrs. Heinisch, I am not going anywhere, but tonight I am going to watch the Hoosiers win."  Some clapped and others booed, but thankfully Josh set the right tone.  Immediately, Gabe's hand shot up as he exclaimed,  "I am doing nothing over Spring Break, but I am glad that I do not have to see Mrs. Heinisch for a week!" Everyone laughed and soon other students shared where they were going or some fun thing about their life at home.  We moved on to a game and class seemed to end well with everyone excited about their week off.

As the students filed out, one of the girl's came up to me and said, "I'm not just saying this Mrs. Heinisch.  I really mean it.  I just love this class and I wish we didn't have Spring Break."  I smiled, gave her a hug, and told her I would think about her every day over break.  (I did not tear up, but I sure wanted to.)  She agreed to take a notebook home and write about this great character she had created in her fantasy story.  I can't wait to see what she has done with this, and I hope she can tell everyone that the best part of her week off was writing a story to share with Mrs. Heinisch.

3 comments:

  1. How touching! It is sad to think about the students that rely on school and what they do over break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful teacher you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful.....sad, but beautiful.....I hope you will share more about this after spring break....

    ReplyDelete