Sunday, March 10, 2013

B-I-N-G-O

Last night was BINGO night for the high school boys golf team at the Knights of Columbus.  As Cal is a member of the golf team and Doug and Brett are both Knights we decided to participate in the event.  The Knights in our community donate over $100,000 a year to local groups in our area.  Most of the money they give out is rasied during these Saturday night BINGO events.

As our town is one of under 3000 people this is an amazing amount to be able to raise and distribute.  I admire the Knights dedication to service, but I have to be honest, I hate playing BINGO.  I'm not much on gambling, do not play the lottery, am not looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or waiting for a long, lost, wealthy relative to die.  Thus, I am totally in awe of the regular BINGO crowd that shows up for these weekly events.  They have a mulititude of dobbers (liquid markers to dot their number cards) lined up in front of them.  They rotate these dobbers by the color of the card, month of the year, shirt they are wearing, etc.  Lucky charms surround them and the numerous cards they are playing.  The regulars all seem to know each others names and where each sits.  They know who won last week, who has a hot hand, the dinner specials, the nicknames of the Knights working and the crazy names of the BINGO games (bacon and eggs, the cross, and check mark just to name a few.)

I have attended several BINGO nights to support my children's activities and the Knights.  I realize that I now pay less attention to my card and the numbers being called and more to the crowd.  It can get nasty - new players learn to never touch someone else's dobber or lucky charm.  Most regulars spend twice as much on tip boards than BINGO in the hope of winning big.  Tip boards also have crazy names - last night's was "Got it Bad."  Some names get great response such as "Mother Clucker" and others just lay an egg.

I appreciate the Knights providing support to our community.  Although BINGO is not my thing, I think everyone should attend just once to experience this ritual!!  People watchers and lottery players beware - you just may get hooked!!

3 comments:

  1. I, too, appreciate all that the Knights do for our community. I am amazed at their commitment to our young people. I know they give hours and hours of their lives to benefit others. We are blessed!

    Thanks for sharing...I might just have to try a BINGO night. We often intend to go but then have "kid stuff" come up. We've been to (and have helped with) several of the pancake/sausage breakfasts and are always impressed with the Knights acts of service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to a Bingo night (thinking sight word Bingo at family literacy nights probably don't count). You make me think I ought to try it once in my lifetime (or maybe not!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought BINGO was a child's game until we went to a evening at the retirement home in Florida. Scary and funny all at once!

    ReplyDelete