Thursday, April 20, 2017

Rain, Rain, Go Away

I drove to Meg's match with Manchester tonight by myself.  Doug was busy picking up Cam and I told Mom and Dad that it was too far for them to go.  At first I was worried that I would be late as I stopped at Walmart for groceries first.  I had been detoured twice by accidents in Warsaw.  In the end it did not matter as I pulled up just as the girls were introduced.

The weather had called for rain all afternoon, and for awhile it looked like they would be wrong.  Unfortunately, the clouds opened up just as Meg started her third game in the first set.  The girls were called off the court to hang out in the gym during the delay.  The rain didn't last long, but it was enough to drench the courts.  The managers and coaches worked hard to clear them, but it was 6:45 before the match was resumed.

I had waited out the rain in my van grading papers.  Meg said that I could leave, but since I had already driven to the match, I thought I'd wait.  I was glad that I did.  Meg played very well.  She was down 3-0 quickly, but figured out a new strategy and rebounded to put the match back on serve at 4-3.  Meg did end up losing the first set 6-3, but played well and gave her opponent fits.  The score of the second set was not as close as the first one with Meg losing 6-1.  The score, however, did not reflect how well Meg played with a lot of games going to deuce.  In fact one game lasted 20 minutes.  When they shook hands at the end, the senior from Manchester congratulated her on playing well and told Meg that she would be a really great player when she is a senior.  That and the praise from the Manchester coach made Meg feel as though she had won.

No comments:

Post a Comment