Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Snow Day

Today was a complete shock.  The news talked about freezing rain overnight, so when we had a delay I wasn't too surprised.   I was floored, however, when I found out at 8 a.m. that school was cancelled for the day.  I couldn't believe it.  Cameron didn't even have a delay.  I drove him to Goshen at 7 a.m. We had to go slower than normal, but overall it wasn't too bad.  We spent an extra five minutes on the road.  Coming back was a lot better and I was home well before 8.  Thus, I never expected our school to cancel.

I don't know why it bothered me that we didn't have school, but it really did.  I would have much rather had a three hour delay.  I hate making up school days.  It's like someone giving you a day off when you didn't ask for it and then taking away a day you had planned to be gone.  This snow day now makes it so the students do not get a four day weekend in February.  Instead they go to school on a Monday and then get Tuesday off for a teacher day.

I realize that the roads may have been worse south of us.  I know it may be challenging to make the call.  I wish we had a plan in place for students to have a virtual learning day.  I would much prefer that.  Then our calendar never would change and plans could be made and kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment