Sunday, January 15, 2017

A Great Day for Laundry

Saturdays have become laundry day at the Heinisch household.  Normally I will take whatever help I can get with household chores, but laundry is one that I just cannot relinquish.  I realize that I am too particular with how it gets done.  In saying that, however, it is not something that I love as it takes a lot of time to sort, wash, dry and fold.  Several years ago I was feeling overwhelmed with this chore, realizing there wasn't a way to speed it up.  No matter how I did it, laundry was just time consuming.  One day Brett stopped into the laundry room and said, "Mom, I know doing the laundry isn't fun, but what if you found a way to enjoy it - like watching your a good movie or new TV series while doing it."   I am not much of a television watcher, but thought why not give it a try.  Since that time I have spent countless hours doing the laundry while watching many of my favorite movies.  I have even watched a couple of TV series including CSI Miami and Gotham.  The best part is that many times a family member or two will join me.  Over Christmas break Meg and I thoroughly enjoyed "Meet Me in St. Louis" all while finishing the multitude of loads that a family of six can produce in a week.


When this Saturday arrived I looked around for one of my favorites and saw the Blu-Ray I had bought last winter - "Robin Hood Price of Thieves."  I had been wanting to watch it, but really wanted someone to view it with me.  Doug said that he would, but I knew that he did not enjoy it as much as I did, so I never really asked him.  Thus, with Meg sleeping in and Doug and Cam at a chess tournament, I asked Brett if he wouldn't mind joining me for this beloved movie.  He was a willing participate in helping me "enjoy" laundry time.  He was working on job applications and could easily do that from his laptop.  We started the movie with the intent of watching part of it, taking a break and finishing it later.  The longer the movie played, the more we wanting to keep watching.  It was as good as I remembered.

As the movie came to a close Brett said, "That was a lot better than I expected, Mom.  Thanks for asking me to watch it with you."  I was glad that I could share my love of Robin Hood with him even more so since Alan Rickman fantastically played a demented Sheriff of Nottingham.  Taking a break from laundry, I decided to check Facebook to see Doug's post about the regional chess tournament that Cam was participating in.  It was there that a memory from a year ago today made me call Brett back to the laundry room.  On January 14th, 2016 my post read - RIP Alan Rickman.  I hadn't realize conscientiously that he had died a year ago today, but something must have told me as I just finished one of my favorite movies with him and  I had also spent the morning reading the end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets hating his beloved character Snape.  Of all of the celebrity deaths of 2016, his was the one that touched me the most.  Glad that we could honor his memory today with some of his best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment