Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Talent Show

This week is homecoming and there have been a lot of activities planned for the students.  Cal and his friends have been taking advantage of the week by dressing up for the spirit days and partaking in the after school activities.  Tonight was the annual talent show.  I have never been a big fan of it as some of the acts lack talent and at times the students can be obnoxious.  Usually, I don't go, but I am glad that I did this year.

Last week Cal told us that he and his group of friends were going to sing "Just a Friend" during the talent show.  At first I thought he was joking.  It is a horrible Biz Markie song from the 1990s that the Heinisch children love to play just to annoy Doug and I.  He has to be the worst rapper ever, which may be why the song became so incredibly popular.  As the week wore on I did realize that Cal was serious.  Several people stopped me to tell me that they couldn't wait to hear their group "The GOATS" sing at the talent show.

Thus, Meg, Cam and I decided to go.  We rode over with Jody and Alexandria and weren't sure what we were in for.   Melissa Possell was there as well as Sharon Boatright, so we could all wait in anticipation together.  They were the second act, so I didn't have too much time to worry.  Once Cal started I laughed out loud.  Instead of rapping the verses, the boys took turns reading them in dramatic fashion.  Then when they got to the refrain they all starting singing "You, you got what I need . . ."  I was in tears by the time it was over and they received a standing ovation at the end and came out for a brief encore.  I was so glad that I videotaped it all.  I posted it instantly to Facebook and Brett really enjoyed seeing it.

The rest of the talent show was hit or miss with some great acts, some not so great and others in between.  Cal was in the junior skit and had some funny parts that ended with another round of Biz Markie.  I appreciated the humor in the senior skit as they made reference to the "Trash Bag Tuesday" crowd several times.  All in all I am very glad that I went tonight.  It is evenings like these that remind me of what high school is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment