Thursday, October 2, 2014

Student Led Conferences

Our school switched a couple years ago to student led conferences.  During this time the students takes their parents to classes and show them the work that they have done so far this trimester.  They do receive a grade report, and in previous years there has been an out of school incentive for coming - roller skating, bowling, etc.

This year the school tried a different approach and students that made it to their classes received ice cream as a treat.  I noticed that numbers were down as only about half of my students came in when before I would get about 80%.  I don't know if the incentive made the difference or if parents are ready to go back to a more traditional approach to conferences.  I made sure I talked with the parents that wanted to talk to me or that I wanted to reach.  Meg had fun helping at the conference table and handing out ice cream tickets.  Overall, it was a long night, but productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment