Tuesday, September 2, 2014

No Sleep

Last night I could not sleep, because I had so much on my mind.  I love teaching, but all of the changes to the curriculum have left the first couple of weeks unsettling for me.  I know many people flourish in an unstructured environment, but I just don't.  I feel in teaching that everything has to be planned.   Otherwise, the classroom is chaos.  I am always flexible with my students and I realize that sometimes situations change quickly, but this has been more than that.  I am not asking for rigidity, just an organized plan.  Thus, I was completely frazzled and just didn't think I could teach today.

I did make it through first period, however.  They are a great class to start the day with.  That really helped.  I also brainstormed with two other teachers to see what we could do to bring more structure to our day.  After that I was able to breathe a little, and the day went by as I had planned.  I felt that I had a better handle on my teaching objectives.  I also spent some time at recess with Cameron and that really helped.

The rest of the day went well even though I was running on only three hours of sleep.  Cameron and I went to Cal's tennis match where we watched him destroy his opponent 6-0 and 6-1.  Last year he had had an epic three hour match with the same player from Whitko.  Cal was markedly better than him this year.  I thought that was awesome to see.

Meg had a soccer game as well tonight.  Mom and Dad went to that one.  They lost 6-1, but Meg felt pretty good about it.  Another player scored the goal and Meg said that was fun to see.  She had to take a turn as goalie and felt that one of the goals she let in she should have stopped.  It has been six months since she played goalie, so I know she was rusty, but overall she had fun.

I was definitely wiped out by 9:15 tonight.  I still had laundry and such to get in the washer.  It was nice to make it through the day.  Didn't think I could make it when my alarm went off at 6:15 a.m. this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment