Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

Meg had been asking me to see the movie "The Fault in Our Stars" with her.  She had heard about the book from several of her friends and was anxious to see it on the big screen. We knew it would have some sad moments as the lead character is seventeen and is terminally ill with cancer.  Her doctor recommends a support group for teens with cancer.  She reluctantly joins and in doing so meets the love of her young life.

As the story unfolds and their love grows there are a lot of fun moments with typical teenage antics (egging the car of the girl who breaks their friends heart) and even a trip to Amsterdam.  There is also a lot of sadness as any story about terminal illness would bring.  As tears rolled down my cheeks I realized that I was not crying for the same reason the girl a few rows in front of us was.  Although it was very sad thinking of these two young hearts being ripped apart for no other reason than chance, I couldn't help but think of the parents.  That's who I identify with now.  I didn't understand at seventeen what it was really like to love unconditionally as only a parent can.  I can think of nothing worse than watching your child die.

I am glad that Meg invited me along.  She still felt The Blindside was sadder.  It may have been, but what I appreciated today was the reminder of just how precious life is.  There are no guarantees.


No comments:

Post a Comment