Tuesday, February 18, 2014

No Way!

I had so many ideas for the blog I was going to write today - the snow day, Cal's friendship with Alex, Meg and Mercedes, Brett's math professor, Cam's love of going to his grandparents - but all of that changed at 6:15 this evening.  An event happened that I could not ignore and just had to write about.  It just goes to show that patience and perseverance do pay off in the long run, but what a long run it has been.

With the snow day today both Doug and my commitments to basketball were cancelled.  Meg no longer had a game and Doug couldn't hold practice for Cam's team.  I called him at lunch to see what his plans were and he suggested that he would go to Cal's game at Westview.  It was on his way home and he thought he might as well head over there.  We knew a couple of the boys from the other team as well and their varsity has a 12-4 record.  It would be a good game to go to.  As we talked, I decided that I would like to go too.  I had spent the last several days snowed in with the Heinisch children (plus one Clark and one Winkelman).  The sun had finally broke through and it had actually warmed up to 45 degrees this afternoon.  Thus, I thought I might as well spend the evening with Doug.  Cal had told us that his coach said that he was out for the year because of his ankle, but we like showing him our support.  He and Jayce have needed it the most this year and we plan to be their biggest fans.  As Cal and Alex left this afternoon, I told them we would be there rooting for them and the best of luck, much as I have every game this season.

The game started 15 minutes earlier than we expected, so it was well into the first quarter of the JV by the time we arrived.  The boys were down by four, but were working hard against a tough team.  As the second quarter started both Doug and I noticed that Cal was seated on the bench with the starters.  Doug wondered what he was doing as he should have been standing.  I was afraid that he had reinjured his ankle and couldn't get up.  Much to our surprise, he started the second quarter.  As he ran on the court, I realized that I said out loud, "No Way!"  The Rookstools were the only ones near us.  They laughed at me and told me in jest to hold it down.  I was on pins and needles as Cal played the three position (wing) for a good portion of the quarter.  His gait was still off when he ran, but he looked so much better than the last time we saw him play in December.  Cal returned as a three point shooter in the fourth quarter, but unfortunately, Wawasee lost to Westview by ten.

The varsity game was also a hard fought one in which Wawasee lost.  Even though I felt bad for the Warriors, I was so excited for Cal.  Two weeks ago he was certain that they were done with him for basketball.  Tonight his coach showed that he definitely is not.  I don't know if he will get in another game this season, but for now I am so proud of his perseverance and patience.  It took a lot for him to hold his head up high this winter.  So very glad that he stuck it out.  What a wonderful feeling that must have been.




No comments:

Post a Comment