Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4 in a Row

For the fourth year in a row, Brett's Social Studies Academic Superbowl Team qualified for the state tournament in West LaFayette.  At last night's regional there were 55 teams from around the state competing for the coveted top five spots.  I nervously checked the website for the results several times today before it was posted this afternoon.  I was pleased to find out that they finished fourth.  How wonderful for the young men dedicated to the commitment that this endeavor entails.   

I have to admit that I wasn't sure if they would make it in, but I was hopeful. Last evening the boys started off slow, but then gained momentum answering twelve questions in a row.  I thought they would fly through the rest of the questions, but they stalled during the last, most challenging five questions.  A neighboring school was able to catch them in total as both teams answered 17 out of the 25 questions correctly.  There is a complicated tie breaking scoring system and the boys fell short, finishing in 2nd place in their regional.  The waiting game began as all regional scores have to be reported to Purdue University, and they then have to verify all results before the finalists are named. 

Of course I was proud of them no matter how they placed.  Ancient Greece is a difficult subject to study and I know they worked hard.   Qualifying four years in a row is a great accomplishment and I am glad that Brett has been able to compete in a manner of which he enjoys.  They have 2 second place finishes at state and were champions two years ago, but no matter how they finish on May 4th, I know that they are all winners already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment