Thursday, January 3, 2019

Aquaman

Today was the day that the boys and I had been waiting for since Cal let us know many years ago that there was talk of an Aquaman movie.  This afternoon we were finally able to see my favorite superhero on the big screen and the four of us thoroughly enjoyed it.  We had read a lot of reviews before going and we were happy to see that it was just as outrageous as everyone said it would be.  At the end Cal looked at me and said, "Mom, they made Aquaman look as cool as you always said he was."

Cal was completely correct.  Every since I was a preschooler Aquaman had been my hero in the comic book world.  I even had an Aquaman doll that hung out with my Barbies, and I'm sure he married one or two of them over the years.  I believe that my fondness of the orange and green "fish man" that lived under the sea started when I used to beg Bunk and Billy to let me play with them.  I was the annoying little sister that wanted to do everything with them and it was one of the few games that they would let me in on.  I thought I was really cool dressing up as Aquaman or Robin.  It wasn't until years later that it dawned on me that they always got to be the lead characters - Superman, Batman or Spiderman.  I was just the sidekick or the "lame" superhero as Doug informed me when I told him stories of my childhood.  I didn't mind filling in the lesser roles.  I was just happy to be included.

Over the years I had told my own children about Aquaman and his adventures.  We had watched the 1970s Super Friends episodes and read his comic books.  Cal wore Aquaman shirts during his high school years and Meg even made me a paper mâché A painted green and orange in middle school art class.  Thus, watching Aquaman with Brett, Cal and Cam today was a lot of fun.  Even if the story was told a little different than what I had read in my youth, the added parts of selfies with Bikers and over-the-top fight scenes were the perfect way to introduce everyone to what I already knew - without Aquaman the land and the sea could not coexist, and thus, there would not be a world worth saving.  How could any other superhero be cooler than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment