Thursday, November 8, 2018

Cheer, Cheer for Old Milford High

Tonight Cameron's basketball team played at Milford.  I was excited for the game as it gave me a chance to see some of my former students.  I also thought that this would be the year that Bethany would finally triumph over Cameron's former classmates.  The first part on my agenda was easy to accomplish.  As soon as I walked in the gym a huge crowd of my 6th graders came running over to give me a hug.  It was nice to see them and to catch up a little.  I checked in with several of my Warrior Time students and was pleased that they were doing so well this year.

My second wish for the evening did not come to fruition, however.  I knew that the Bruins B team would not beat the 7th graders from Milford.  They were out manned from the beginning.  Having their point guard on the bench made it challenging for those on the court to beat the press.  My hopes for the A team were quickly dashed as well.  Bethany started off slow and the Milford 8th grade were on fire offensively.  Within two minutes Cam's team was down 8-0.  They did tie it up in the second quarter, but just never overcame the opening draught losing 43-33.  Cameron did have a lot of fun playing against his old Milford friends and did very well defensively.

The best part of the night for me happened as we were walking out of the door.  One of the 7th graders that I had taught for two years came up to me as I headed to my car and said, "So will you come back now?"  I gave him a hug and asked him what he meant.  He said that he and his teammates had talked.  They were sure that if they beat Bethany I would come back and teach at Milford again.  He wanted to know if it worked.   It made me tear up a little and I did promise to come back for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment