Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day



Today we decided to celebrate Mother's Day by going to tulip time in Holland, Michigan.  We had talked about attending the event since the first time we had visited Windmill Island years ago.  I had read that it would be packed and it definitely was.  We arrived around 10:30 and there was already a line to get in.  Since we had toured the Windmill not long ago, we spent our time walking through  the flower beds instead.  There were some beautiful colors, and many types of flowers that I had never seen before.  Both Doug and I thought that there would be more tulips, but other than that it was beautiful to see the springtime flowers in bloom.

After Windmill Island we ventured to downtown Holland.  Doug's favorite place to eat on our previous trips was New Holland Brewery.  We were glad that he suggested putting our name in early as the wait time was only ten minutes.  When we left the line was well out the door.  Lunch was delicious and everyone enjoyed the pepperoni pinwheels once again.  We walked up and down main street after we ate.  We were surprised at how many shops were closed.  We did find a few stores open, but decided that we were ready to head to Saugatuck.

Of all of the places that we have visited in Michigan, Saugatuck has remained my favorite.  It's located on the Kalamazoo River and is packed with quaint shops.  While shopping Doug was able to try wine at Fenn Valley Winery and Cam and Meg both found clothes at Glik's.  We also bought Cal's birthday gifts and presents for Grandma Jane for Mother's Day.  It was a lot of fun and we stopped to get dessert at Kilwin's before we left.  Doug wanted to try the Eccentric Brew in Kalamazoo for dinner.  He really liked it and we were glad that we had time to try it before making the trip home.

We stopped by Mom's on the way home.  She enjoyed her gifts.  I loved the solar cow yard decoration they gave me.  Doug, Meg and Cam also decided that I was in need of more items for the backyard as they got me a fountain and a birdhouse.  They were perfect gifts for me and I look forward to putting them to good use.  Brett and Cal couldn't be with us today, but they both sent very nice sentiments to me throughout the day.  It was a wonderful Mother's Day to say the least and I felt incredibly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment