Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Tax Man

I did all of our taxes this year.  We normally had an accounting firm do them, but I realized last year when I did Brett and Cal's that I would be capable.  I had done them when we were first married and never had any issues.  For awhile they were more complicated because of Doug's ownership of PVC, but that was years ago and I decided to try again.

The boys' taxes were pretty easy.  Brett filed in both Indiana and D.C. plus his federal.  He was pleased with the money that he got back.  It will pay for his mission trip to Chicago over Spring Break.  Cal also earned money back, but not as much as he had hoped for.  It will give him some spending money at least.  Our taxes were extremely disappointing.  Since Doug is in a different tax bracket than I am, my tax rate went up.  That made my small yearly salary even less as a good portion of it went to taxes.  I had had a long week at school.  This definitely made for a disappointing Sunday as I had to digest how hard my week was last week coupled with my little pay for it.

There has been so much in the news since Trump was elected President about tax reform which I would definitely now favor.  There is constant talk of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.  I have never understood that theory.  I have never thought that anyone should have to pay more taxes so that others can remain on welfare.  I do not believe that it is my responsibility to pay for others.  I do believe that we should help those less fortunate than we are with our time, volunteerism and donations, not by being forced to pay taxes.  This is not my idea of fair and equal.  What really makes me frustrated about this year's tax bill is that I could have paid cash for Brett's grad school next year for the same amount.  The government is taking from our family to give to others robbing us the opportunity to pay for our children's college.  There is no one who will ever make me believe that this is a fair system.


No comments:

Post a Comment