Monday, March 5, 2018

A Sad Day for Golf Fans

Cam had to leave school early as he had gotten sick during ISTEP.  It seems that he is a lot better, but he just can't clear up his nose.  We don't know if it is the medicine or the nose that is making him sick to his stomach.  He did make it through the test.  They let him take a break and eat some crackers before he finished it.  He thought he still did well and was glad to be done.  They called me at 1 to pick him up.  I couldn't leave, so Doug left as soon as I called him.  I also got ahold of my parents.  They just happened to be in Goshen, so they met Doug there and took Cam home.

I went to my parents' house right after school.  Cam and I watched television with them for awhile and had just started to head out when Dad's phone rang.  We knew it was Rich and thought it was strange that Dad asked us to stay for a minute.  He put him on speaker phone and we couldn't believe what he was saying.  Bob Carlson had died suddenly that afternoon.  We were in complete disbelief.  He was part of Doug and Dad's trivia team Thursday night and they thought he looked well.

I called Doug to let him know and Dad called Cal.  I texted Brett to let him know and told Meg as soon as she got home.  Everyone was in shock.  I have known Bob and Rena since we moved here when I was in 4th grade.  They were always supportive of me and my family especially when it came to golf.  Bob loved to listen to everyone's golf stories.  He would put a positive spin on a tough round and give tips for what to try next time.  He was also a great friend to my Dad.  They shared a love of reading and would trade books throughout the winter months.  They had also traveled to Florida together over the years during the off season.  It will be hard to replace Bob at Maxwelton and for our family I know that the golf course will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment