Sunday, October 8, 2017

Birthday Thoughts

Today was my brother's 54th birthday.  As I am going to be 49 in November it should not sound that old, but it just does.  I was eight when Bunk died and for me he is still the big brother that I knew.  I never think of him as an adult.  Meg asked me today how I thought it would be if Bunk was still alive.  I honestly have not given that much consideration over the years.  I told her that I couldn't even guess how it would be.  I know that it would be nice to have someone to talk about shared memories with.  Our stories I am sure would revolve around all of the time we spent with our grandparents.  We would also share stories about the different animals we had as pets and who they liked best.  My best friend and his best friends were brothers, so I know that the Stump boys would figure into our conversations.

Out of all of the things that I miss most about Bunk since he has been gone, it is definitely these conversations.  Although I can share the memories with Doug and the Heinisch children there isn't someone to corroborate or dispute what I have to say.  I listen to my four talk all the time about growing up together.  I would love to be able to do that especially today when we could celebrate his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment