Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Solar Eclipse

Monday was a much anticipated event throughout the United States.  The media had been posting about it for months and everyone that I spoke with talked of nothing else.  The solar eclipse of 2017 was expected to be spectacular.  There were news reports warning that animals would believe that it was night time and driving would not be advised during its peak time of 2:22 p.m.  Meg's physic class planned on tracking the eclipse's progress and all students at Bethany would be outside in time with proper eye wear to witness this historic event.

The students and teachers at Milford school were anxious as so many reports were in the news warning of the permanent eye damage that a solar eclipse could cause.  We weren't sure at first that everyone would be able to participate, but in the end there were enough glasses for all who needed them.  After spending a half hour outside on Monday witnessing the solar eclipse I have to say that I was actually let down.  It never became much more dark than a normal cloudy afternoon.  The crescent of sun that shown past the moon was neat the first time I looked through my eclipse glasses, but after that the uniqueness kind of wore off.  I believe that the media had blown this event so out of proportion that the expectations of what we were to witness never matched the actual solar eclipse that occurred.

Cam and Meg said that they enjoyed going out to see if.  My parents and Doug said that it got darker where they were.  Brett report that he looked at it briefly through another person's glasses and Cal posted his thoughts about the media hype.  It wasn't quite what any of us expected, but we had stories to share afterward.  I did get a headache later in the day and had spots floating in front of my eyes once we came back inside.  I was sure that would have happened with or without the eclipse.  The sun was bright and that has always bothered me.  Meg said that she had the same issues.  As far as I have read and heard no one suffered from the permanent eye damage that we were frequently warned about these past few weeks.  It looks as though the United States survived the eclipse of 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment