Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Zoo Day

Every summer Cam, Meg and I take a trip to the Fort Wayne Zoo.  We had planned to go today, but with the accident we weren't sure that we would be able to make it.  Either way Meg first had to go to conditioning for soccer.  Once we arrived they drove from Bethany to Shanklin Park to work out.  Meg said it went well and she was starting to feel more comfortable with the girls on the team.  I went to Wal-Mart while she was there.  I had wanted to go last night when Cam was at soccer, but our plans changed abruptly after the accident.  On the way there I was able to set up appointments for both he and my Mom at our doctor's office for next week.

I was back before Meg finished and did some walking myself.  We called Cameron on the way home.  His hand was hurting, but his leg was better.  I taped him up when we arrived and then he and I went to my parents to check on them.  My Dad was sore, but was able to get up.  My Mom was still in a lot of pain.  Dad went with us to Bud's Body shop to remove everything from the Mercury that they would need.  Cam found his golf shoes right away and I squeezed his pull cart through the shattered window.  I had taken his golf clubs out the same way yesterday, but was careful this time not to cut my elbow.  We were amazed that they weren't broken in the wreck as they were hanging partially out of the back, but I believe that because they were still strapped to the pull cart, they couldn't come completely out the window.

After we cleaned out the car we took Dad to the insurance company so that he could start the claim process.  Cam and I ran to get him some Ibuprofen and he was just finishing up as we pulled in the parking lot.  I bought everyone lunch at Penguin Point and Meg and Cal each drove down to check on my parents.  After we ate and finished all that they needed to get done for today Cam, Meg and I decided to start on our zoo adventure.  The sun was shining, Cal had to work and Doug said he wouldn't be home early, so we were able to keep our plans.

We started in Africa as we always do.  Cam and Meg rode the safari sky lift before we toured the watering hole.  Most of the big cats were asleep, but we had fun watching the monkeys.  Cam even fed lettuce to a giraffe.  After Africa we strolled through Asia.  Although impressive to watch, we decided that the orangutans were creepy to look at.  We stopped by the otters and penguins after Asia and before moving on Australia.  Meg decided that if we would ever get a dog we would have to name him "Peeps," so we can yell my catch phrase "Hey, Peeps!"  Cameron also decided that we need four otters so we can name them Bubs, Chubs, Flubs and Scrubs.  Australia has always been one of my favorite stops as I love the log flume.  It's a great way to see the animals.  We rode the train afterward and each one of us picked out a Dippin' Dots flavor before heading to the van.

Even though we left later than usual we were still home before 6 p.m.  The zoo stayed open later this summer which we appreciated today.  Doug had to jog, order a new phone from Verizon and take Cal's car to Monteith, but after that we were finally able to play Cam's new game.  It was a little confusing at first, but once we got the hang of it we had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment