Monday, July 17, 2017

So Many Wonderful Memories

My Uncle Bob's children arrived in Nappanee last Thursday in order to attend the Guard Family reunion and bring some of his ashes to Union cemetery to spend eternity with their mother.  I hadn't been able to visit with them until yesterday at the reunion, but really enjoyed talking to them.  Mom said that she and Dad were going to see them again this afternoon, so I decided to tag along.  They had planned on staying at my Uncle Larry's bed and breakfast - The Old Buffalo Inn - but it had recently been sold and their reservations were cancelled.  They were disappointed, but found another quant place closer to town and rented out all of the rooms.  It was nice and had a great porch for visiting.  In true Amish fashion the women visited on one side and the men on the other.

I had a wonderful time visiting with them.  They all were such an important part of my Grandma and Grandpa's lives when they lived in Florida.  I loved listening to their stories and recollections of their time with them and from our frequent visits to Arcadia.  They brought back so many memories that I could have listened to them talk all day.  The talk of the river, the animals, the bonfires, the people were all so real.  I felt like I had stepped back into my childhood.

Just like yesterday I cried when we parted.  I miss my Grandparents and all of the fun that I had with them, especially CrapPa.  There hasn't been a day go by since they left this Earth that I did not wish they were still here, but I don't dwell on it.  For so many years after they died my mind just thought that they were back in Florida, enjoying fishing and visiting and feeding oranges to the cows.  I hadn't actually thought of them being dead in quite some time until I saw my Mom's cousins.  The more I listened to Bud talk about Grandpa and my annual Purdue/IU football bet (a whopping 50 cents) and Bobbie's memories of her Aunt Ceil, the more I wanted to see my grandparents.  They would have loved listening to the stories as well and seeing everyone together.  It'll take me a little while, but soon I'll go back to thinking of them in Florida - helping with commodities, drinking Grandma's special tea, and bickering over who lived where when they lived in Nappanee.

Thank you to those who made the journey from Florida for the Guard reunion.  The trip down memory lane was fantastic.  It was appreciated more than words could say.

No comments:

Post a Comment